Wednesday, November 20, 2013

on 11/19/13 in class we discussed the woman warrior reading assignment. I liked this reading assignment because it is very sentimental and i could kind of relate the daughters experience of being told the story.  The text is about a Chinese family, the mother tells her daughter a story of her sister in law who got pregnant while her husband was away. The small town forms an angry mob when they hear of this news and they go after her. She gives birth and is so filled with shame and guilt that she commits suicide and kills her infant baby by drowning in the family well. In my opinion this story that the her mom tells her is just a story, its not real. Her mom told her the story to teach her a lesson and scare her into not getting pregnant soon, or cheating. I can relate to this because my parents also always tell me stories about family members and tragedies just to scare me into behaving and being a good and honest person. Her mother is doing the same by telling this story, even though its probably false and a really harsh and sad story, she is doing it to try and benefit her and so she can be a good woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment